12/13/11

Culebra Puerto Rico Report


I just got back from a month and a half long visit to Culebra PR. One of goals was to do research on the lionfish problem there. Here is what I found. The scuba divers in the area reported that there were lionfish everywhere in 60 ft of water. In fact one local dive charter is starting to bring in lionfish to the dinghy dock restaurant to serve on their menu (good news). I conducted my own research all around the island by putting on my own mask and snorkel and was surprised to find only five lionfish, three juvenile and two adult. I dove from the shoreline to 500 yards out, from three feet of water to fifty feet and found NOTHING. There was plenty of small fish on the reefs to support a decent population of lionfish yet they were nowhere to be found. I can only attribute this to the presence of CORNET FISH. Cornet fish were everywhere. It is the only fish that Puerto Ricans do not hunt therefore they are thriving. Lionfish don't have a chance with these guys around. I imagine that they hunt the juvenile lionfish because their mouths are pretty small. They seem pretty aggressive hunters. I don't know much about them but perhaps they hold the key to bringing the lionfish problem under control. Somebody please look into this.

9 comments:

OllieRaja said...

Mo,

Hey its Cane for Holden Beach. Joey has filled me in on your mission. Just plugged you guys on thehulltruth.com and passed along the website to some concerned fisherman. Hope all is well in the Bahamas. HB has been really warm and a few fun days of surf.

Anonymous said...

Just a slight correction. The fish pictured here is a trumpet fish.

fishing in the florida keys said...

Hey its Cane for Holden Beach. Joey has filled me in on your mission. Just plugged you guys on thehulltruth.com and passed along the website to some concerned fisherman. Hope all is well in the Bahamas. HB has been really warm and a few fun days of surf.

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

I like the contents of this blog.Must enjoy the Deep sea fishing in Dubai trip with your best friends.

Clover Pass Resort said...

Thank you for this wonderful article! It has long been very helpful. I hope that you will proceed sharing your knowledge with us.

Alaska Salmon Fishing Specials

Anonymous said...

hello, whomever is reading this..
I am going to be visiting Puerto Rico in april and would like to do some diving.
Having spent last summer in belize diving with reef c.i. (they are all about the lionfish invasion), I learned everything there is to know about the little buggers except I never got to try spearfishing for them ( I was dissecting them the whole time)
I really would like to team up with someone who actively hunts them so I may give it a go.
I am an advanced open water diver, and I feel as if my buoyancy control and skills are sufficient to give it a try.
Does anyone know of any dive companies that participate in the culling of lionfish,(PUERTO RICO) and if so, is there a way I can become involved in the spearfishing?

I hope this isnt a werid request..I am taking a shot in the dark here.. LOL

Thanks

Deborah Ellis

diggety_debs@hotmail.request..I am taking a shot in the dark here.. LOL

Thanks

Deborah Ellis

diggety_debs@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Observed one ( 6 inch body) Lionfish at melones in coral near the beach shoreline, right side

Unknown said...

Keep hunting them! Lion Fish Hunt